From time to time, you can find yourself struggling to buy food, pay the rent, power or mortgage and may be juggling numerous other debt.
If you’re in this situation, a financial counsellor can help you understand your options so that you can get back on your feet. Financial counsellors provide a free, independent and confidential service.
The TUSA partners with Anglicare to provide free financial counselling to all UTAS Students.
How can this service help me?
A financial counsellor can provide you with information about:
- your options when dealing with debt negotiating with creditors
- consumer rights and responsibilities
- accessing your superannuation
- bankruptcy and its alternatives
- referral to legal services if appropriate
- managing money, including budget strategies
Who is this service for?
Any student studying at the University of Tasmania
This is a free and confidential service, supported by students & funded by SSAF.
How do I book?
The first step is to fill in the form via the Book Now button below. We will then get in touch with you to arrange an appointment, and to offer other support if you need it.
If you are experiencing financial hardship don’t forget to check out our other pages in the Support section of the site – there is a lot we can help you out with.
If you need assistance seeking support, or just need to talk about your situation, please reach out to our Student Advocates.
The University of Tasmania operates a Tax Clinic which supports students with advice and information on taxation to assist them in lodging their tax returns or assisting with more complex tax queries you may have. Find out more and apply for assistance here
Useful Links and Information
- MoneySmart – An excellent financial guidance website with lots of information on all aspects of finance.
- TrackMySPEND App – A handy app to have on your phone which helps with budgeting and expenses.
- No Interest Loan Scheme – Community Lending for Tasmanians. No Interest Micro-Business, Car Care, Household, Education, Medical and Dental Loans.
- SaverPlus – SaverPlus is a free ten month savings programme that provides financial education, budgeting and savings tips and matches participants’ savings up to $500 for education costs.
- Moving Beyond Financial Hardship – A video series produced by our partners Anglicare Tasmania which offers some insight into some common financial scenarios and how a financial counsellor can help
Financial Counselling video series
We’ve teamed up with Anglicare Tasmania to provide free Financial Counselling to students at the University of Tasmania. As part of this service they’ve put together a series of videos explaining various financial issues affecting students and how best to tackle them. Check out the three videos below on Renting, Energy Costs and Credit.